Tuesday 10 March 2015

Start A New Life




I was at the peak of my career and in a most comfortable position in life - children just about settling into the orbits of their choice; and hubby and me with a comfortable bank balance to maintain a decent if not luxurious lifestyle. We were at a point in life where after a lot of struggle to settle the children and ourselves, we had the opportunity to fill our coffers to our hearts' content for the first time. I was in a high paying job and at the top of the organisation i.e with practically no boss above me. I had carved a niche in the company where no one could touch me. After so much experience, the job ran itself. My spouse was also happy, content and supportive.
But I longed for one thing - freedom to do what I had been wanting to do for years, but never dared to do. I wanted to drink from the lake of creativity which I was sure lay inside me. But throwing away a secure, well paid job was blasphemy. I did not dare to even to talk to my spouse lest the slightest resistance crumble my very precarious and fragile desire to break out. Finally I summoned all my reserves and all my courage and put in my papers - after taking into confidence all my family members.
It was the boldest step I had taken in my entire life. For what? An unknown future. For an opportunity to explore the world outside as well as inside - to hitch my wagon to the star which had been tantalising me for such a long time.
We shifted cities after giving up my company given accomodation. That's where support from sites like Housing.com support makes a big difference to people. See the video embedded above.
So we moved from the financial capital to the political capital. From a fancy luxurious apartment to a functional though comfortable flat. It was a big change and that needed tremendous adjustment from both of us. but more importantly I moved away from the barriers of time, space, office deadlines, target driven performance, Powerpoint presentations, worksheets etc. to a life of writing, music, travel, family and culture. Oh good it was to sing the songs I liked to sing. And I realised that there would be no shore to drift towards - that the sea of mental enlightenment was endless. I now realize that our potential is limitless and it depends entirely on what opportunities we create for ourselves, what risks we can dare to take and what self belief we can generate in ourselves.
I have never taken a more sanguine decision.
As I read somewhere that the more I practiced, the richer I felt. The meaning of life dawned on me - as the Dalai Lama says - 'Man lives as though he he is never going to die; then dies having never really lived.'
Fortunately I think I have lived as I would like to live - thanks to that new start.

No comments:

Post a Comment