Saturday 14 March 2015

A Memorable Tenth Anniversary




Housing and Shelter as Housing.com conveys to us, is so important in our lives. It gives us a livelihood and a roof. I had started "White Sands School" from my house and today was the tenth anniversary of the school.
All my 'original' students from the first batch had promised to come to wish me. Today I would be reuniting with them. I remembered them all:
'Smiley' a German boy who had started walking the moment he had stepped inside our 'studio' school; the twins 'Bobee' and 'Beebo' whose affection and love tugged at my heart for years after they had left the school; and 'Deepa' who would cry endlessly after she was dropped in the school by her mother, till one day, in a dramatic gesture she opened up her arms and told me, 'I love you so much mommy'; and of course the French girl 'Lara' who insisted on sitting in my lap throughout.
I was very excited and also nervous and apprehensive, as you might guess. It was Sunday, and promptly at ten, the bell rang. The twins were standing outside. I couldn't recognise them at first - how they had changed. Then I saw their mother and could place them. In a little while the others joined - Smiley, Lara, Deepa. These were the little ones who had filled my life up when my own children had grown up and developed their own friends and hobbies. These were the tiny tots who had been my companions, filling my morning hours with joy and fun. All the memories came back - how they would clutch my hand, how they would cling to my kurta, or sit primly in their tiny yellow and red wooden chairs.
Over chips and squash and pakoras and toffees they told me how they were doing. SMiley was shy and reserved, but he had grown so tall for his age. The twins kept hugging me and showed the same love and affection as they gurgled away merrily. Deepa wouldn't let go of my chunni and she kept telling me about her younger, baby sister. The girl who came from a lower middle class background now spoke fluent English, and her mother kept thanking me for the grounding I had given to Deepa. Oh it was such fun meeting my children!
It was one of the happiest days in my life. I reconnected, re-bonded and literally restarted my life after meeting them.
Later on it struck me that the hours I had given to my school had resulted in the children getting a good foundation in life. I felt the years I had spent in "White Sands" had been years spent well. I would continue with my school and I would have lived my life well.
And I can look at the coming years with optimism and hope. Thanks to the tenth anniversary - it rejuvenated me.



No comments:

Post a Comment